Life is a balance of holding on and letting go – Rumi
I’ve been bringing more consistent yoga practice into my life recently. There are many benefits to yoga and with each practice I am reminded of many of those benefits. But one aspect of yoga is of particular interest to me…BALANCE. You see balance has always been a struggle of mine. Both physical balances in my body as well as balance in life have been challenging. Through my practices in physical balance in yoga I see a lot of comparisons in the lessons in living a balanced life.
- Balance is often different as you shift from one side to the other. It’s not always the same. But small adjustments can make all the difference in the world.
- Balance is a lesson in self forgiveness and perseverance. When you fall out of balance, allow it and then bring yourself back into the pose.
- Balance never feels the same from one practice to the next. What is easy one day may not be the next.
- Balance is fleeting. During some practices you feel like you can stay in the pose forever. Some practices it is only for a moment.
- It takes a steady gaze to hold your balance.
- Balance takes practice. The more you practice the easier it is to achieve and hold a pose.
- Balance truly is the ying and the yang. In the moments of balance a multitude of seemingly opposing feelings can arise. Strong and confident; calm and centered; focused yet somehow free from thought.
So as you strive for balance in your own life remember these few things:
- Move deliberately into balance. Know what needs to be balanced and keep a steady gaze on what is important to you.
- Be conscious of when you are in and out of balance.
- When you fall out of balance (and you will) don’t be frustrated or upset. Allow yourself to “Be”. Celebrate your success and then move back into balance.
- Never take your moments of balance for granted. Enjoy the feelings and benefits of your balanced life.
- Practice, Practice, Practice.